Monday, July 17, 2017

Some of my latest work

It's been a while and I have been busy enjoying the summer and making some decent progress in my studio.  I have decided that for my upcoming featured artist show in August, I should pick a theme.  I have been drawing feathers in my sketchbook for a while now, so I went with that.  I also can't help myself from making abstract work so there's some of that too.  Man, Random Acts of Piece is the perfect name for my studio.

Here's the goods.


18" X 18" mounted on gallery wrapped canvas

Hand-dyed cottons, snow-dyed vintage linens, batiks, silk, upholstery and cross weave.  This piece was inspired by the multicolored batik that creates a strip across the center.


Some close ups.


Snow dying vintage linens is a lot of fun.


A friend gave me this scrap of upholstery.


Here it is mounted on canvas and wired up to hang,


This feather is made of snow dyed fabric and batik.  It is mounted on a 12" X 24" canvas that I painted with acrylics and varnished.


I did some free motion quilting.


another close up.


This feather was quilted and facing finished.  It is stitched to a background that I made from a pile of vintage inn scraps that I stitched together, quilted and then dyed with teal dye.  The silk came out a bit green but I like the overall effect.


Each vintage linen has it's own dye value and texture so it really makes the background interesting.


And, here is the random small piece.  I named it Madras, after those popular summer plaids.  It's 6" X 6" and mounted on a 3/4 " birch cradle board.  

Thanks for checking out the blog.  Hope to see you at the ARTery in Milford, Pennsylvania.  My reception is on August 12th from 6 - 9.  Wine, food, art, music and artists - come join us!

Feel free to leave me any comments or questions.  Have a wonderful day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment