Monday, May 15, 2017

Mixed Media Yin Yang - Peace and Harmony

I've posted a few Yin Yang pieces on earlier posts, but I decided to post this one because it is much bigger than the others, measuring 24" X 24" and it was inspired by the red and gold colors I saw at the Chinese New Year's Parade in New York City's Chinatown this past January.





I started by creating an underlayer of painted papers, security envelope pieces, and book pages.  Then I gave it a coat of clear gesso because I forgot to put the white gesso on at the beginning.  I love how the clear gesso can save me when I need it.

I followed with a transparent coat of magenta and red paints from Golden and Amsterdam.  Then gave it another coat of red to really bring out the deeper red that I wanted on the piece.

Although the stencil is on top of this, you can clearly see the collage layer and variation it creates in the red paints.

I cut the stencil from cardstock paper that I taped together because I didn't have anything large enough.  Finding something big enough to draw a large circle was a bit tricky but finally, I used a ruler and held one end in place, put a pencil in one of the holes that are there in case you want to put it in a 3-ring binder and used it like a compass.  The medium circles were made from a dish, which also took some trial and error.  The smallest circles were easy. I used a circle cutter from a scrapbook thing.  And Voila!

Once the stencil was cut and taped in place, I used a metallic champagne craft paint - two coats.  I like this color because you can add a wash and give it almost any metallic color you want.

Here it is with a wash of Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold - I love that color.  It makes everything so vibrant and warm.  and I started playing with some collage for the corners here.  I used dictionary pages with the terms peace on one and added a Chinese character for peace in the sense of serenity and balance.  On the top dictionary page, I used the dictionary entry for harmony.  I added some paper that I had printed using a Gelli Plate and some chocolate candy wrappers - because what else says peace and harmony like chocolate??  Nothing.

Harmony

Peace

So here is the final piece.  It has a nice gold finish with the quin Gold wash and it is currently hanging in The ARTery Gallery in Milford, PA.  If you're in the area, I recommend you stop by.  There's a lot of nice work there and the theme this month is a burst of color.

Thanks for checking out the blog.  Feel free to leave a comment or question.  I wish you a day filled with peace, harmony, and balance. (remember to work and play!)

1 comment:

  1. Claude, I enjoyed your process. I can understand your're being inspired by Chinese New Year. About four years ago when my daughter lived in the San Francisco Bay area, we went to San Francisco for the night time Chinese New Year Parade. What a wonderful explosion of color and costumes. Great job.

    ReplyDelete