Sunday, June 28, 2015

Inspired by Scraps

Okay, so I am so happy with the rusty fence.  Who would have guessed an old rusty thing could inspire such creative ideas.  As I was cleaning up, I use that term rather loosely, from finishing a rusty quilt fence, I found a scrap of it on the cutting table.  And so this next piece was born.

The overall dimensions are 10X10 inches and I mounted it on a 2 inch thick canvas that I painted with layers of metallic paints in gold and pink halo gold from Lumiere.  The collage elements include paper that I rusted with the fence, snow dyed scraps, painted fabric, hand dyed cheesecloth, a hand dyed vintage crocheted piece that had rips on one side, a piece of old bedspread that I hand dyed and some ribbons and scraps from my stash.

I raw edge appliqued the pieces down without the assistance of any type of bonding web and everything behaved quite well.  Then I did a bit of free motion quilting.  Finally I added a few stitches by hand using cotton floss.

I sewed on a few vintage mother-of-pearl buttons from my collection and TA-DA!

It was nice to revisit the practice of collaging and incorporating sheers and scraps.  It has inspired me to continue on my next piece.  Which hopefully, I will be blogging about soon.  Until then,  stay dry - the northeast has had a rather soggy weekend.  I'm looking forward to the return on the summer sunshine.

Please feel free to leave a comment or question.  Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. beautiful, Claude! I never did have such good luck with rust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claude, that is insanely wonderful!!!!! The rust, the buttons, the cross stitches, I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete