Sunday, May 17, 2015

Open The Gate

After a couple of years of participating in a local craft fair, I found myself not looking forward to the process of preparing for another summer of producing quantities of small saleable items.  I missed my art quilting for sake of making art and creating from my imagination.  And so the opportunity presented itself and I have once again changed direction in my artistic journey.

One day last summer I bought a piece of rusty wrought iron decorative something or other.  I had no plan for it.  None.  It hung out in my garage all winter - although why I decided to keep a rusty piece of metal indoors still puzzles me a bit.  Until one morning on my way out for work I saw it and realized I could use it to rust fabric.  This is something I had never done before (at least not intentionally) so I went for it.  It pretty easy.  Mix water and vinegar and put some fabric in it - I used a ziploc bag.  Then lay the fabric over the rusty stuff and walk away.  I checked it the next day and Voila!  a beautiful piece of rusty fabric.  And so of course I made more and now I look for rusty things everywhere - which is not weird at all!

So here it my first piece in what will undoubtedly be a series of rusty stuff.

 Dimensions 24 1/2" by 42"
 The base piece is a combination of the rusted fabric, hand dyed brown and blue grey, a snow dye that I loved and didn't want to cut up (so that worked out) and a piece of shibori dyed fabric that didn't entirely work the way I had planned.  But it was perfect for this piece.  After I had quilted the base with both straight lines and some free motion quilting that were drawn based on the shape of the fence, I added the blue sheer fabric.

The blue overlay was made by photographing the fence and enlarging the shape until it was the size I wanted for the sheer layer.  This took a while and I used some large pieces of plain newsprint that I had to trace the design in the final size.  Then I measured very carefully to the fence posts would be straight up on the quilt and pinned the newsprint to the base quilt over a layer of sheer fabric.  I free motion quilted the fence, carefully tore away the newsprint and then trimmed the excess fabric away to leave only the fence shape.  It was a bit tedious but I think the end result was worth it.



Here is a close up of the snow dyed fabric and how the sheer allows you to see the texture and rust that lies below it.  As always, I wish I was a better photographer and it looks better up close, but I think you get the idea anyway.


I like the way the shibori adds a little movement to the burgundy piece of fabric.  I free motioned the burgundy and dark brown and straight line quilted the other sections.  I will say that after a few false starts and some bonding with my seam ripper, the rusted section went from free motion outline to straight line quilting with a walking foot.  The rust, although adds great texture and interest, can really be a pain to free motion quilt.  

I am so happy with this quilt and I named it "Open the Gate" because I feel like I have opened up the summer to a myriad of possibilities instead of working within the box of preparing for a show.  I now can go anywhere I want with my art.  I plan to make it a summer of traveling.

Thanks for stopping by the blog.  As always, I welcome any comments.  For now I am going for a walk to look for some rusty stuff!  See you soon.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I love it when the odd things we keep turn into triumphs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. clicked through Quiltart digest and enjoyed your post very much. Good for you to change your direction and what a wonderful piece of art as a result.

    ReplyDelete