Saturday, March 28, 2015

Rock Cairns and The Journey

I spent my morning and better part of the afternoon at a funeral for a wonderful man.  The kind of event where it's impossible to have a dry eye in the house.  He was just shy of 94 and along with leaving behind a wonderful family, he left a lot of positive energy in the world.  And so, I dedicate my quilt to him as a symbol of The Journey.  I can only imagine what it takes to get to the age of 94 but I'm sure there were many blessings and challenges along the way.

And so here it is, finished this afternoon.


The piece uses some denim jeans that so many of us wear when we hike and even when we don't.  They are an ordinary part of our extraordinary days.  The patches of denim are the people we meet along the way.  Each one having it's own color, degree of wear and ability to bend.


The stones are part of my collection of hand dyed fabrics from last summer.  They are in shades of rust and terra cotta.  I like the way they contrast against the color of the blue denim and remind me of days of hiking in the American southwest.


The upper right hand corner has a piece that has been woven from some fabric that I painted with metallic paints.  I am not sure why it occurred to me to rip apart some fabric and weave it but I think of it now as a symbol of how we are all connected.  Woven together as part of something bigger than ourselves.

Finally, I put a label on the back with my official 2015 symbol.  It is a lotus blossom.  It symbolically represents being fully grounded in earth, yet aspiring towards the divine. Which, when I think about it is a great metaphor for the life of Ed Flaherty.  


Thank you for stopping by my blog and reading this far along in my post.  Please feel free to leave a comment.  Please take a moment in the near future to express gratitude to someone who has made a positive difference in your life.  You'll be thankful you did.

2 comments:

  1. So wonderful, Claude, so peaceful and beautiful; such a meaningful tribute. This piece is wonderful in every way. My sympathies on the loss of your dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I love the symbolism of denim.

    ReplyDelete