Saturday, December 14, 2013

Rock Cairns - The Series Continues

Well, we hosted Thanksgiving, recovered from that, had a surprise surgery in the family, immediately followed by a scheduled surgery in the family, recovering from that, one ice storm, two snow events, hit a deer, mourned the passing of a faithful dryer and survived it all with only mild exhaustion.  In the midst of all of this confusion, I finished a piece that I had started well before Thanksgiving.  It was done 10 minutes at a time but, none the less - finished.  It is the third in my series of Rock Cairns.

Dimensions 8" x 8" x 2"
The back ground is ice dyed cotton using shades of rust, bronze and grey.  I then applied used teabags over the top with matte medium.  I made my own stencil of the om symbol, the sound of the universe, and used a Shiva paintstick that I outlines with a micron pen.  I used misty fuse to attach some gold foil wrappers from long gone fancy candy.  Then I collected some branches (before the ice and snow), painted them black and stitched them on using cotton floss.  The rocks are book pages that I gessoed, cut and stitched.  The piece was cut to 8X8 and the edges were sealed with metallic gold paint.

Rock cairns, beside being a fun think to make while hiking, are also used as a tool for meditation.  I imagine they represent some sort of balance which is always a goal in life.  They certainly are nice too admire and I think meditating with them could calm the mind.

Because the piece was made using an open back wooden box, I had a chance to carry my thoughts onto both sides.


The box was covered with book pages and gessoed over.  I added a little rock cairn to the back with a saying I found on the end of my teabag.  I wrote the quote on a piece of very thin white tissue paper and once I liked how it looked, I used matte medium to add it to the back.  The tissue is almost invisible, especially if you don't know it's there.  And I just love the sentiment - especially this time of year when sometimes feeling light is quite elusive.  

Here is one last view of the box from the side.


I think it's a nice piece for a sofa table or some place where people would see it from both sides.  I suppose it could also be hung on a wall with the secret message being a reminder to the person who hung it.  Either way, I am pretty happy with my third rock cairn and rejuvenated to start on my fourth one soon.  Hopefully before Christmas, but if time does not allow, I understand that it is all part of achieving balance.

Thanks for stopping by and if you are in the northeast - stay warm and be sure you have bread, milk and hot chocolate!

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I have rock cairns in my garden and yard at our home in northern Wisconsin. To many Native Americans they are spirit guards to protect you from evil that may enter your home. I really like the back of your piece as well. Nicely done.
    With so many family issues behind you, I hope your preparations for Christmas may overcome those stressful days. Good luck!
    Lynn Kunz

    ReplyDelete
  2. so inventive and effective, I like the back side so much. A shrine, a place to linger.
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete