Saturday, November 9, 2013

Cairns Continued

So as I set my mind toward rock cairns, the mind wanders much like a hiker.  I have ideas all the time about what technique to incorporate or what fabrics or mixed media materials to use.  I write it on sticky notes and transfer it to my sketchbook and basically everywhere I look, I see an inspiration.  Which tells me that this idea came along at just the right time.

So here is my second rock cairn art quilt.

Dimensions 17 1/2 " X 21 1/2 "

Here's the details.  The background for the center panel was a piece of ice dyed fabric with orange, bronze, green and several other colors.  I then marbled over the ice dyed fabric using primarily chartreuse and violet, with hints of blue in there probably left over from the fabric piece I had done before.  The "rocks" are machine appliqued and hand turned pieces of cotton batik.  Finally the center panel is mounted on a piece of hand dyed chartreuse fabric.  It really makes the center panel pop off the piece and I just love this quilt. 



Today I brought it somewhere to show a friend what an art quilt was.  I tried to explain it but, she just sort of turned her head to one side and I could tell that what she was thinking of wasn't even close to what I was thinking of.  So, how better to illustrate the concept but by showing her a quilt.  Anyway, we placed it at a distance, which is different for me since I am used to seeing it up close and man, did I fall in love with it.  I really liked it before, or I wouldn't have taken it to show anyone.  But, now as I step back a bit farther it really has a nice movement and unity.

I plan to use the center panel to make some postcards and note cards.  But I have to get a better picture because I think there is a shadow of my knee on the left hand bottom corner.  Rats!  oh well back out to the cold.  

Thanks for stopping by and checking out  my work.  Happy wanderings!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice. Love the ice dyed/marbled background. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful. What an original use of the blue batiks. They kind of look like Japanese indigos. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cairns, especially the blue one! Gray, brown, ecru, black, red--all rocks are beautiful, but your colorful and whimsical ones really remind me of a nature walk. The thought of their balancing is fascinating.
    Martha Ginn

    ReplyDelete