Tuesday, September 10, 2013

More Marbling Magic

I just love the marbled pieces of fabric that I have amassed.  I like to just arrange and rearrange them to see what might pop up.  This piece was made from three pieces of marbled fabric that were ice dyed with yellow and red and one piece of chartreuse fabric that was marbled twice.


The quilt hangs with three tabs and a piece of painted bamboo that I got from a friend who has a bamboo forest in his yard.  I wanted to make a banner shaped piece since that is a new trend and I haven't really done that yet.  So this is how it took shape.

The bamboo was painted and then I sprayed it with acrylic sealer.  It has a nice finish to it.  

This pictures shows the colors from the ice dying and then the marbling over the top.  It is a fascinating process.  

The center panel is separate from the backing and I mounted it on some hand dyed chartreuse fabric to give it some punch.  I think the chartreuse really makes the piece pop off the background.

One final shot of the ice dyed fabric.  The more complex the cloth is to begin with, the better I like the layer of marbling.  As you can see I didn't have to do a lot of quilting because there was so much movement in the piece already.

Thanks for stopping by and feel free to leave a comment.  Happy quilting out there!

3 comments:

  1. All three of your pieces in this series are beautiful. I especially like the second one. I bought a marbling kit several years ago but have never tried it. You have inspired me to get going and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the joy of happenstance! Ice dyed fabric can be such a treat. One of my latest works was on snow dyed fabric that I did during my last winter in NH! That piece became, Sanibel Island Light which is posted on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt! How could it be anything else when it is made with such gorgeous fabric?!

    ReplyDelete