Tuesday, April 16, 2013

More Mixed Media Summertime Fun

I just love the beach.  The sound of the waves, the constant breeze and the beachcombing treasures along the shore just make my day.  With a rather large collection of those little shells and stones in my stash, I decided to make my next piece with those in mind.

Dimensions 8" X 8"

I decided to keep it in a blue, gold, silver color scheme and make those tiny shells the focus of this piece.  Of course I have an extensive stash of left over beads from previous projects and some other little things I found in my friend's trinket stash.  I used several coats of paint in various beige and off white to make the backboard sort of sand colored.


I used my collection of seashell and alphabet rubber stamps, as well as some random texture stamps to make the tile backgrounds.  I embedded shells, stones, and beads after I stamped and rubbed the tiles with PearlEx mica powder.  Then I filled the little leftover spaces with beads and some cut up pieces of a belt buckle that came in a box of buttons that I bought at a yard sale.  Overall, I like the color scheme and I think this is a fun piece for a beach house. 


One more detail shot.

I have 5 more 8X8 boards and a list of ideas for other tile projects.  Once my busy days calm down a bit I will be starting another one.  If you have rubber stamps I think these little tiles are addicting and totally fun to make.  Grab a couple of polymer clay blocks in your favorite colors and some mica powder (or metallic paint) and go for it.  Feel free to leave a comment and thanks for visiting my blog.  Hope to see you again soon.

2 comments:

  1. OOOOOooooo! So so pretty and unique! Every tile is a new discovery! Love it!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I like how you mixed the way you used the shells, some the shells themselves and some impressions. It's a great piece.

    ReplyDelete