Friday, March 1, 2013

Tea Bags Revisited

Dimensions: Canvas 20" X 20"  Art Quilt 15" X 15"

In an effort to use supplies in my well stock studio, I revisited my use of tea bags as a surface design element for this art quilt.  The base fabric was ice dyed with chartreuse and navy dyes.  I then covered it with used tea bags using matte medium.  I painted a tree silhouette using a hand cut stencil that I made on 12 X 12 cardstock from a scrapbook sleeve.  Finally, I used fusible web to attach golden silk leaves.


In this detailed view you can see the mottling of the base fabric and the aged look of the surface due to the tea bags.  I also added some hand stitching with metallic seed beads at the base of the tree.  I free motion stitched around the stenciled paint in a copper rayon thread to help define it. 

Here is one more image where the tea bags really stand out.  You can also see the stitching around and on the leaves and ghost leaves.  I mounted this piece on a 20" X 20" canvas that I painted yellow, then golden brown and then washed with several coats of thinned gold metallic paint.  Finally I used some Lumiere gold paint and a dry brush.  The picture does not capture the depth of the colors.  I really like this piece, even though I don't usually do representation work.  I think it would look nice in a deep brown frame but I am wondering about the expense of framing it.  Knowing that this is going to be for sale I wonder if I should keep the price reasonable and let the buyer frame it, or frame it and raise the price.  I am open to suggestions from anyone who stops by to read this. 

Thanks for looking at my recent work and have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. In my opinion it needs no frame or borders. But selling fiber art is really hard to do without glass and a frame. I just mount mine on black gallery wrapped canvas. It substitutes for a frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many art pieces come unframed - the work wraps around the edges. Would that be possible with this one? I think it is gorgeous without a frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree piece is beautiful, and is enhanced by the use of the delicate tea bags and hand stitching with beads. If your artist's eye thinks it needs a frame and glass, you will not be happy unless you frame it and present it in its best light.
    Martha Ginn

    ReplyDelete