Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Silk Vases

With the upcoming holiday season, I am preparing for the one sale that I take part in each year.  I am fortunate to be part of a group of artists and our eclectic work is displayed and sold before the holidays in a collective show.  It is the time of year that I open my sketch book and look through the zillion ideas that I have written down and pick a few quick projects that I have been thinking about.  Since my mind is a continuous mindstream of ideas, it isn't usually too difficult to narrow it down to a few choice projects.  This post is about the last project that I completed before the sale next weekend.  With these little things out of my system, I will soon be turning my sights to something more challenging and time consuming.

These vases have a base of Fast 2 Fuse and are covered with Silk dupioni.  The fibers that I couched are hand dyed from bundles of "Oliver Twists" that are made by someone in the UK.  And the inside is lined with my hand dyes from the summer.

Inside I added a glass vase from the local craft store and voila! - a vase.

In an effort to use what I had on hand, I selected silk that I thought went will with the oliver twists that I already had and I came up with the following combinations.


The inside of this one has a commercial print that looks like a screen print.  A friend told me it reminded her of a willow tree.
This silk is crosswoven with lavender in one direction and turquoise green in the other so it changes color as you move around it.  Again, the inside is lined with one of my hand dyes.

Finally, this one is also cross woven with hot pink and emerald green.  All of the vases are approximately 8 1/2 inches high and 3 1/2 inches on each side.  

This was a fast project adapted from the Fast, Fun and Easy Fabric Vases book that I purchases a while back.  If they sell great, if not I am sure they will make great gifts or will be a functional place to hold my paintbrushes and rulers.  

Thanks for checking out the blog.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. Just Beautiful and if I were not so far away, I would be in line for the sale... thanks for sharing and loved the Dupioni adn Oliver Twists combinations... perfect.
    Happy Thanksgiving from a Michigan girl.
    Bethany Garner in Kingston, ON Canada

    ReplyDelete