Saturday, November 3, 2012

Jersey Shore

I have been going to the Jersey Shore since I was a little kid.  My family would spend a week at Wildwood Crest playing in the sand, surf and on the boardwalk.  It was a traditional vacation but we always had a great time at the beach.  I still live in New Jersey and the recent superstorm Sandy has really taken a toll on us here.  Luckily, I live in the northwest corner of the state and aside from slight damage to our house and a brief power outage we fared pretty well.

Ironically, I was at the shore for the day this past September and spent quite a bit of time collecting the pretty shells and stones that I just love.  I have been doing this since I was a kid too.  I had already begin my shell and stone collages before the storm but, they have taken on a certain importance as I sit and hand stitch while I am glued to the grim news reports that air around the clock.

These collages are each 8" x8" overall and the actually fabric is 6" X 6".  My photo editing skills are sketchy at times.  The bases are cotton batik and a silk burlap type fabric that I quilted.  Then each little square was fused and stitched on.  Finally I embellished with shells, stones, lace, ribbon, buttons and machine and hand stitching.  

Here is a close up of the piece mounted on blue canvas.  I find it very calming to just look at a small area and work on only those few square inches as a time.  Then I move to the next area and work on that.  It was a good project to work on when I was feeling overwhelmed by the storm, the aftermath and now the worsening situations in our area.

Here is a close up of the blue batik piece that is mounted on the yellow ochre canvas.  They look nice together since the fabrics coordinate.  My favorite thing about them is the individuality of each little square as it fits into one cohesive piece.

One last close up as we all keep the people who have lost so much in our thoughts.  Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

  1. Very nicely done Claude. It is staggering to know that once again we face such loss, and at a time when it is going to get very cold. Here's hoping that the upcoming forecast Nor'easter skips NJ, NY and CT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful remembrances! I have a small glass jar filled with tiny pebbles picked up along the shore at North Wildwood. But no shells. I sure wish I did! The shore will be back one day though, it's just going to take time and work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all just beautiful and what a beautiful reminder of what once was and will be again. My heart goes out to those who still are without home, power etc.

    ReplyDelete