Sunday, August 26, 2012

Saluting the Flag

A while back I purchased a Gelli Plate.  I hadn't used it and it was on my list of things to play with over the summer.  So, one day when I had a get together with my friend we pulled out our plates and made a whole pile of painted papers.  I used inexpensive craft paint that I had on hand and a few metallics and I was thrilled with the process and very happy to have a whole pile of papers to play with.  What to do with those papers?  I decided that I would cut them up and make a flag book since I had been wanting to try that too.  So here is my first flag book, with no particular theme but a whole bunch of my gelli monoprinted papers.
The cover was made with a paper that looks fine all in one piece.

The inside covers and flags were made with the monoprinted pages and some scrapbook papers and other random things from my stash.

I like how you can stand it on end and flare out the flags.  It just makes it more interesting.

I liked the first one so much that I went on to make another.  For this one I used some papers that I had painted with a method that I learned with Jane Davies while at the CREATE Retreat in Somerset, NJ.

The cover has some punched painted paper with some organza ribbon and buttons.  The ribbon goes around the whole book and acts as a closure.

The flags were also random, I started a third one, still in progress with a theme.  I just liked the way the colors came together.  

Again, standing on end adds a bit of fun to the book.

And makes it look interesting from above.

The ribbon wraps around the book and ties at the opening when you want it to be shut.

Thanks for checking out the latest projects.  I have a few more in the works and hope to have them completed and blogged soon.  Feel free to leave a comment or question.  

1 comment:

  1. I love journals and your is especially colorful~nice!

    ReplyDelete