Saturday, December 10, 2011

Earth Laughs in Flowers

Inspired by a few things, I decided to make a few art quilts that were very similar.  First, I wanted to finally use some of my hand dyed fabrics from the summer experiments.  Second, I just recently purchased a whimsical piece of assemblage art from Jeanie Eberhardt (find her on etsy).  Third, a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Earth laughs in flowers."  So here are a few pieces strikingly similar but each a bit different.
This was the first in the series of experiments.  Mostly hand dyed fabrics with a few batiks sprinkled in there.    Total dimensions 11" by 14".

Second in the series was actually made from the leftover fabric from the first piece.  I really like how the black and white play with the colors.  Total dimensions are about 7" X 12".
Third in the series was mounted on a canvas that I had spread with light modeling paste, painted red and overpainted with burgundy and scrubbed.  The canvas is 11" X 14" and the art quilt is 9" X 12".
I used Staz-On and some rubber stamps to add some text to the bottom.

Last in the series is mounted on a 4" X 12" canvas I bought a while back.  I also stamped this piece with Emerson's quote and finished the canvas with red and burgundy over modeling paste.  

I happy to have used some of my hand dyes.  And I like the whimsical feel to the art quilts themselves and now I am off to make some Christmas presents for friends and family.  Except one of these will be a gift for a friend.  Thanks for looking and hope your holidays are happy and healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Claude,these are such happy vibrant little pieces, and they definitley bring a smile to my face. That is a very good sign that you are definitely doing something worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete