Friday, September 30, 2011

More Gifts from the Sea

I liked making my last piece so much that I decided to expand it a bit and make a larger collage with the same color scheme.  I again painted a canvas with beige, silver and gold then over painted it with black and used a comb to scrape some lines to reveal the layers of paint below.  It also gives the piece movement.
The entire canvas is 10" X 20" and I bought it at a yard sale.  The collage pieces are 6" X 6", 4" X 6" and 4" X6" respectively.

I collaged shells, buttons, trims, fabric and beads using glue, stitch and paint.  I like the feel of the overall piece.  I think it would nice in a beach house or woman's office.  

This close up shows the quilting, hand stitching and smaller details of the 4 X 6 pieces.

I collected so many black scallop shells that I was able to find five of them that I could stack to make a cool layered effect.  The cheesecloth is from my recent hand dyeing experiments.

For those of you out there who are beach combers, I hope you decide to do something with all those shells you find.  I am very happy that I picked out these few and have them out in view each day.  AS the fall chill starts in they remind me of summer days on the beach.

3 comments:

  1. Very inspiring. Living near the beach I have lots of shells that have found their way to my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you're lashing the shells down, and the stacked scallop shells is a nice effect. I think it could also look good in a *man's* office! ;-)
    Another successful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been much of a beach person, but I've always loved shells. Your wonderful pieces may just inspire me to dig out the bag of shells my brother collected for me on his last beach vacation. What kind of thread did you use to hold down the shells?

    ReplyDelete