Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Stick and Stones

This piece was inspired by a piece of fabric that I picked up at a Quilter's Estate Sale at a local quilt shop.  It is some type of silk, the exact name I cannot recall.  I added some grey batik cottons and created this very organic piece.  I like it because it is very quiet and incorporates nature.

Dimensions 9 3/4 " X 21"
I used every bit of a fat quarter for the back fabric.

I like the variety of textures in the batiks and added hand stitches to add texture to the brown silk.

In keeping with the nature theme, I had this piece of drift wood that I picked up years ago.

Here is a closer view of the stones and hand stitching.  The stones are mounted and stitch on pieces of painted and heated Tyvek repurposed from the mail.

I wanted to be sure the backing wouldn't pucker or warp so I free-motion quilted it evenly with a pebble stick pattern.

I am off to use more of the silk in another triple layer piece.  Stay tuned for another nature theme.

4 comments:

  1. Calm, restful, somewhat zen in feeling. I like the hand and the machine stitching. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the organic color combination of your piece. The brown earth tones combined with the grey tones found in rock. Good texture also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piece. the combination of colors, textures, patterns is very well done. A piece that would wear well in the home. Nancy

    ReplyDelete