Thursday, August 4, 2011

Small Projects in the Midst of Larger Ones

After I complete a large and complicated project, I like to do a couple of quick little things to help me get my creativity geared up for another big idea.  Recently, I made a mixed media piece that is hanging at our State Fair right now.  It took a long time and a lot of pondering, but I love how it turned out.  Here is a very far away shot of it that doesn't really do it justice, but can give you an idea of how Marina Pearl the Sea Nymph looks.  Detail shots will follow after the fair.

Marina Pearl was made from a generously gifted mannequin, fabric, paint, beads and repurposed wire from a friend who retired from the power company and saved this from a dumpster.  The swirls of wire are intended to make her look like she is in a wave.

So that was the long project, here are two short ones.  First, I had a small piece, 8 1/2" by 8 1/2" that was okay but needed a little something.  So I got a 12 X 12 canvas and mounted it.  It took 4 different paints to get the color and effect that I wanted but, I like how it turned out.  I think the canvas definitely adds to the original needle felted piece.

 I used two shades of purple, blue gray and a wash of metallic violet gold to get this final color.

Finally, a small fun piece that I made using the edges of cut silk that I purchases as a long sewn together ribbon at a quilt show.  I ironed the silks, fused them to timtex and cut them out to make a square vase.  The vase is lined with vertical strips of silk and I put a glass with glass blob in the bottom so I can add water and flowers to it.  Easy, quick and just what I needed to get myself geared up for the project I am now working on.

4" X 9"

The lined inside makes is pretty from all angles.

Thanks for visiting.  Hope you are having an artful summer.

2 comments:

  1. Claude, I Love, love Marina Pearl ...Your fair is much more progressive in accepting fiber arts. All the pieces look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mermaid is amazing! It must have been so much work.

    ReplyDelete