Sunday, April 17, 2011

It Was a Dark and Stormy Night

Changing gears from teabags to something new, I decided to work on a project that I had drawn in a sketch book about a year ago.  In between work and a week-long vacation in Arizona, I completed this project using snow-dyed fabric that I purchased at the New Jersey Quiltfest in March.  It's name came from a friend of mine who immediately said it reminds her of a storm of dark and threatening clouds.

Along with the snow-dyed fabric, I added scraps of red dupioni silk and black batik fabric.  Some vintage mother-of pearl buttons and cotton floss help hold it together.  I had to make two hanging sleeves so that it can be hung without anything showing from the back.  All in all I enjoyed completing my long lingering idea because I have never made a quilt that was several pieces that were connected in this way.  Feel free to leave a comment or suggestion.

Dimensions approximately 19" X 18"

Black batik and vintage mother-of-pearl button connectors.

The free-motion quilting follows the lines within the hues of dye and the red dupioni adds a nice highlight color.