Monday, March 7, 2011

Tree of "Real" Life

Yet another teabag quilt is complete and this one was easy to name.  Using my usual mixed-media style, I incorporated several different items for the leaves.  They are items from my real life.  The gold and silver linings from Christmas card envelopes, leftover painted papers from my studio projects, tyvek envelopes that, no doubt, carried some sort of important mail, old wine bottle labels and chocolate candy wrappers to name a few items.  I added a bit of hand stitching and metallic seed beads for grass and pebbles.  It's nice to see the important things making up my tree - not the least of those being chocolate.


Dimensions 15" X 15"

I used fabric paints to paint the base fabric and then used matte medium to attach the tea bags.  Using old cardstock I made a stencil and then painted with Shiva copper paint stick.  The grass is a variety of cotton floss colors.  


I added some copper Dupioni silk that I purchased at the NJ Quiltfest on Saturday and that highlighted the metallic sheen of the many foils that make up the leaves.  Comments and suggestions are always welcome.


5 comments:

  1. Good job on all of these tea bag creations. Just wonderful stuff. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colorful leaves. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is great. Can't believe you made a quilt since after the Quiltfest of NJ Saturday. You are very focused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful!
    (sometimes one word is enough.)

    Nice to see your work after meeting you (again) at NJ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on a great new blog. Love the teabag quilts.

    ReplyDelete