Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sea life and Teabags

Well, socked with an 8 inch snow storm has its advantages.  I managed to finish this sea life themed piece that uses teabags as a surface design element.  The base is a hand-dyed batik with an overlay of teabags.  I addes some beads, shells, vintage lace for the starfish, papers, foils and mother-of-pearl buttons.  The king of the sea has a crown and some very wise quotes to share with us.  I had just enough of this batik to make a binding.  It remind me of the scales on fish - but in a good way.

Dimensions 11" X 15 1/2"

Vintage lace extras just seemed to make some interesting starfish.

Some transparent paint and old book pages add a little texture.  I think my seahorse looks very regal with his crown.

A reminder that we all need a day at the beach every now and again.

After all, doesn't everyone feel better after a long walk along the shore.

I used Mistyfuse to get these papers and foils on.  The beads are from a couple years ago at the NYC Bead Show.

With spring not too far away, I think I am dreaming of warmer weather and the little day trips that come with it.  I consider this my lucky number 7 quilt in the teabag series.  I feel like I have run the course with this design element for now and plan to work on some different pieces - sans teabags.  Stay tuned for whatever happens to cross my mind next.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely and delicate. And don't you just love Mistyfuse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely! The tea bags add a very rich patina, don't they?

    ReplyDelete