Thursday, February 17, 2011

Let's Get it Started!

Well, I've been thinking about starting a blog for over a year now and I have finally got the nerve to get started.  I hope to connect with other art quilters out there and get some comments and critiques from all of you artistic fabric hoarders.  I'm going to post images of my latest work - as I have come a long way in the 4 years that I have been dabbling in art quilting.  I would love to read your comments and suggestions.



Dimensions 12" X 18"

This is my first attempt at using tea bags as a surface for quilting.  I have a couple of friends and colleagues who are tea drinkers and agreed to save me their tea bags - these are true friends who will collect what they would rather throw away and give it to you.

I started with off white fabric and sewed several squares and rectangles of batik and commercial print off white tone on tone patterns.  I added the tea bags, some of which were run through a printer printed with copyright free images.  Some Shiva paintstick stenciling, candy wrappers, heated and painted Tyvek and vintage buttons and it was starting to come together.  Finally some stamps and quotes about birds and it felt finished.  I found a piece of Dupioni silk that was turquoise and lime and that added the hint of iridescence the piece needed.

Detail of the entire piece that includes printed tea bags, vintage buttons, oil paintstick stencil, candy wrapper, Tyvek, free-motion quilting and silk binding.

I'm off to the next piece of tea bag art!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Very nice. Looking forward to your next posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of blogging - I love your blog name. Tea bags are so lovely to work with - I recently ran a weeklong worshop at my home for 15 textilaholics and now have a mountain of teabags to unpick and prepare - for something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blogdom! I also like your name.
    Great piece, but I'm curious as to how you ran the tea bags through your printer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome. Your piece is very whimsical

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice launch post - great name and awesome color choice. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to blogland! I jumped in last April and find it terribly addictive and a great way to see other fabric artists' work. I love your tea bag quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! I really enjoy journaling and blogging is an extended version of what I used to do mainly on paper. I hope it gives you as much enjoyment as it does for me.
    Your piece is terrific! I love the use of tea-bags and other 'green' items. Everything is game!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Claude, it is gorgeous! Keep up the great work. And can you post some photos of some of your other work. I so enjoyed seeing it and meeting you last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your choice of color. All of the techniques really came together without it being overdone.

    ReplyDelete